[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,
i'm new to FreeBSD (5.1 from CD set) and grateful for it.

i've installed one machine no problems but on another a suspect
ethernet interface has developed.  It's an Asus p4p800 motherboard
with 3C940 on the board.  (i'm suspect of this much integration)

At first, messing with Debian and Suse, the card worked fine.
When i sent to  installing FreeBSD no card was detected
by sysinstall->Configure->Networking->Interfaces.
Shouldn't it show up there?
ifconfig doesn't see it.
(i don't know how else to look for it)

I plugged in another reportedly good ethernet card into a PCI slot and no kernel probe detection there either, but do get a green (carrier ?) light, but no green light on the motherboard NIC.

i've googled for 3C940 diagnostics.
don't know what to do next.
thanks for your group and any help.........

I have the same motherboard, I had some issues with the card being detected on
earlier versions of FreeBSD but on 5.2 its been working fine. I seem to remember
the card not being autodetected but if I loaded the sk module manually it was
detected right away. In 5.2 I just put "device sk" in my kernel and its working fine.
It shows up as:

skc0: <3Com 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xfeafc000-0xfeafffff
irq 22 at device 5.0 on pci2
skc0: 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
sk0: Ethernet address: 00:0c:6e:55:6d:1a
miibus0: <MII bus> on sk0
e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1000 Gigabit PHY> on miibus0
e1000phy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto