Today I started to write a sound driver kernel module.
All have yet is a skeleton, and I cannot get it to compile.

I am building the module in my home directory.
I set up my Makefile as described in the developer handbook:

    SRCS=mykmod.c
    KMOD=mykmod

    .include <bsd.kmod.mk>

When I run make however, I get this error (the output is from make depend):

    rm -f .depend
    mkdep -f .depend -a   -nostdinc -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I- -I. -I@ -I@/dev
-I/usr/include  mymod.c
    In file included from @/dev/sound/pcm/sound.h:54,
                     from mymod.c:29:
    @/sys/bus.h:381:23: device_if.h: No such file or directory
    @/sys/bus.h:382:20: bus_if.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from @/dev/sound/pcm/sound.h:98,
                     from mymod.c:29:
    @/dev/sound/pcm/channel.h:69:24: channel_if.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from mymod.c:30:
    @/dev/sound/pcm/ac97.h:90:21: ac97_if.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from mymod.c:33:
    @/dev/pci/pcivar.h:156:20: pci_if.h: No such file or directory
    mkdep: compile failed
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/home/stsp/mymod.

The headers are not present in the @ tree, but there are a couple of *.m files
with the same basenames.
The handbook says that such files were interface templates and should be processed
by a perl script called something like makeobjops.pl.

I am using the 5.1 release, and I cannot find makeobjops.pl on my system.
Could it be that the developer handbook is only referring to FreeBSD 4.x?

Compiling a custom kernel works fine though, the headers are properly generated.
Am I missing something obvious?

regards
stefan