From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 11:28 AM
To: JJB
Cc: Jorn Argelo; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: proxies and firewalls

> Are you saying you know of an proxy server that does the nat
> function?

Actually, the point of having  proxies is *not* having
to route. Your proxy machine should not be able to forward packets.

Roughly, there a two different sub-groups: Circuit layer and
application
layer proxies, names should be self explaining.

Example for an app layer gateway:

Port:   fwtk-2.1
Info:   A toolkit used for building firewalls based on proxy
services

Example for a circuit level proxy:

Port:   nylon-1.2
Info:   A Unix SOCKS 4 and 5 proxy server

Socks5 is already app layer, too, IIRC.

Cheers, J.