On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:36:27 -0800, Relayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a machine with FreeBSD 4.2 running on one drive. I wanted to try dual booting and mucking about with wine, so I decided to install WinXP as well. To avoid messing up my primary drive, I thought I would be able to accomplish the process in the following way:

1. disconnect primary drive
2. connect second drive (so it looks like the only one in the PC) and install WinXP on it
3. verify that WinXP boots off this drive
4. install FreeBSD boot loader on this drive
5. verify that WinXP boots using FreeBSD boot loader

All works as expected to this point.

Then I hook up the primary drive again and reboot. I see the following at boot time:

F1: FreeBSD
F2: FreeBSD
F5: Drive 1

I hit F5. Then I see

F1: DOS
F5: Drive 0

When I hit F1, I expect WinXP to boot. But nothing happens. The machine just sits there. I have scanned a lot of material in the Handbook and on google today and yesterday, but I cannot figure out what I did wrong. Does anybody have any ideas that don't involve using grub or gag or something else?

The sleight-of-hand with the drives is unnecessary. :) Let Windows stay on the first drive where it wants to be. FreeBSD is happy on the second drive. The FreeBSD boot loader must be installed on *both* drives.

The loader will call your XP drive "???" if it's formatted using NTFS. It will boot XP just fine, it's just that there are several OSs that have filesystems resembling NTFS (e.g., OS/2 and QNX), and the FreeBSD bootloader doesn't have the extra space used by fancier bootloaders to store multiple user-selectable names.

Jud