On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:49:50 -0800
Rishi Chopra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm getting the following error message during startup:
>
> /usr: mount pending error: blocks 16 files 1
>
> I'm guessing this orrcured due to a shutdown during background fsck of
> the filesystem.

Not necessarily during a bgfsck, just the filesystem is not clean, so
bgfsck will run.

> Will the error fix itself (e.g. will the boot process continue and
> finally proceed to a prompt) or do I need to intervene?

Usually it will continue, if not, you will be the first or know ;)

>  If intervention  is required, how would I go about setting things right?

Watch (tail -F) /var/log/messages, after login, if you get something
strange there (like unexpected softupdate inconsistency, run fsck
manually or fsck drops core) or if on the next reboot it happens again
boot is single user and run fsck.

> --
> Rishi Chopra
> http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra