On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:42:37AM -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> > I understand now.  Thanks.  So do you know of a mail client that
> > supports "Deleting Items" to a folder called "Trash" on the IMAP
> > server?  Right now I have evolution and if I delete mail it puts it into
> > a local trash folder, but I dont see an option to "Copy deleted mail to
> > folder <blah> on mail server" or something like that.
>
> I use mutt with an imap server.  I've tied macros to specific keys
> that save messages to INBOX.trash, which effectively deletes them from
> the current folder.  I go to the .trash folder and use 'D' to clean it
> out on a regular basis, sometimes finding one or two that I didn't
> want to delete.  It requires folder hooks to change the underlying
> behavior for the 'd', '^d' and 'D' keys based on the current folder,
> but it works like a charm.

Hi

Hope I'm not too late :-)

I'm using courier-imapd and have few users with whole bunch of various client
software on FreeBSD and Windows. Following lines in imapd config do magic:

IMAP_TRASHFOLDERNAME="Deleted Items"
MAP_EMPTYTRASH="Deleted Items":90,"Sent Items":365
IMAP_MOVE_EXPUNGE_TO_TRASH=1

This makes MS Outlook Express happy. For mutt client I just make symbolic
link "trash" -> "Deleted Items". Moreover, in case of mutt it's actually server
that moves messages to trash, and does this without any hooks or filters.

By the way, MSOE actually allows to specify names of both 'sent items' and
'deleted items' folders, but to avoid explaining Windows users how to do this
I just fix this on the server.

Just make sure you correctly specify namespace, otherwise your folders will
show up in the client either with dot in the front or/and as sub-folders of
your inbox (well, they're in fact, but I don't like that look). This actually
might be reason why your client stores Trash locally - it doesn't look for
it in proper place on the server because namespace specified incorrectly.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Ilya Varlashkin