David Bear wrote:

I wanted to ask this group what their experience was regarding tape
units, what your experience has been regarding reliability and
longevity. I am faced with replacing an AIT tape unit thats just over 3
years old. Its based on a sony sdx-300 series. Its had minimal use.

I am really surprised its only last 3 years... but then, I don't know
what to expect.

I have an HP DDS-2 DAT drive that was "refurbished", used in an HP server here at work for a year or so (backups done once per week), and then retired. I snapped up the drive, and I now am doing backups with that drive using Bacula under FreeBSD 5.1 at home on a daily basis with no problems at all. The tapes are also a year or two old, but have not experienced any errors.

So the drive is at least 3 or 4 years old, and the tapes are a couple of years old, all works fine :)

Dave