Alex Teslik wrote:
Oy, the second post to questions in the same day :(

So, I bought new modem and got it "working", but only kind of - the modem is
not echoing commands back to the 'cu' or 'ppp' terminals. It is a USRobotics
5610B 56K Pro Modem. It is not winmodem and the system put it on sio2.

Is this an internal or external modem?

I made all the devices in /dev eventhough they already existed.

I added a direct line to the modem in /etc/remote like:
cuaa2:dv=/dev/cuaa2:br#57600:pa=none

I can connect to the modem like:
cu -l /dev/cuaa2
or
tip cuaa2
or
ppp (then 'term')

I can type commands and see them. I type ATDT1234567 and the modem picks up
and dials. So I know it hears and understands me. But it never echoes back
result information. I never see an "OK" or anything from the modem in the
terminal.

So you get nothing when you type 'AT' followed by enter with nothing else?

The problem is that HylaFAX relies on these echo results to control its communication with the modem. It is looking for those "OK"s. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the "OK"s working? I have gone through all of the AT commands USR documents and I can't get anything. Is this a problem with 'cu' or 'ppp' or 'tip'? The results are obviously going somewhere, but I don't know where.

And this makes me ask my first question. Is this internal or external?

The AT command set for this modem is documented (USR issues the same document for all their modems - this is an online version from another model instead of a PDF version that is posted with my specific model, but they are the same) here: http://www.usr.com/support/839/83909-ug/six.html

This should turn on all echos (but does not):
ATQ0 E1 F0

These should at least get the result codes you need. Maybe try an at&f1
which is Load Factory 1, HW FC and see if that gets the OK working. The only thing I could do to mine to turn of the OK is Q1.

Jeff