Allan Bowhill wrote:

On 0, Zhang Weiwu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:Hello. In my LAN the DNS server is my ADSL modem ... small device that :cannot do MX type of address lookup. I wish to configure a fax server :(FreeBSD 5.2 + Hylafax) in the LAN to send emails to a group of people upon :receiving fax. The problem is hylafax fax server can only use sendmail to :send fax notification, but sendmail can send out emails only when it knows :receipiant's MX ip.
:
:The only way I can think of is to let sendmail send mails by using my ISP's :smtp server (need login). But I read sendmail(8), I didn't find how to :configure sendmail to do this, nor did I find such information on the :handbook. I'm not familiar with sendmail config.
:
:I hope I'm clear:) What should I do now? Do you have something to suggest :me to read? Thank you.
:

Try reading Simon Barner's tutorial on setting up FreeBSD for workstations.

http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html

Oh this article is really helpful, I'm reading it .. it is really long.
But my situation is pertty typical; I believe many people are like me to rely on ISP's authenticated smtp server. Must things be so complicated for those people like me, as said in that article?
Isn't there a replacement of sendmail to do simple mail transfer by just asking a smtp server to do everything?

Thank you.