On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:14:29AM -0800, Jason Williams wrote:
> Morning everyone.
>
> I have a few questions in general about Sendmail and a few in regards to
> sendmail on FreeBSD.
> (NOTE: I do use postfix for a lot of my mail servers, but for one
> particular instance, I need to use Sendmail.)
>
> My first question is about resources for learning Sendmail. I currently
> have the "Bat book" and have been using it to work my around sendmail, but
> the learning curve is pretty steep and im looking for other resources as
> well. Does anyone recommend any web sites other books that can help start
> the learning process for sendmail? I can be quite trivial at times. :)
>
> Second question is in regards to Sendmail on FreeBSD. I'm currently running
> FreeBSD 4.9 and the version that comes shipped with 4.9 is 8.12.9p I
> believe.
>
> I want to know what is the best way to go about upgrading sendmail on
> FreeBSD boxes? Is it better to build sendmail out of the ports tree?
> Or, is it better to d/l the source and compile it manually.
>
> Is there a difference? Is one better than the other?
>
> I appreciate the help.
>
> Jason

Dear Jason,

To answer your first question: I usaly go to www.sendmail.org; I did
find this website hard to follow the first couple of time. So this
may also be the case for you.

To anser you second question: The difference is that the port version
is more up to date. I personaly stick with the the default, unleas I
have reason to do otherwise. I have trust in the FreeBSD team and
update the base system when this is needed so i'm not wurried about the
securty.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: