On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:56:08PM +0000, Peter Risdon wrote:
> Lewis Thompson wrote:
> > I am worried that because the script must be read/writeable by the
> >Apache user (www) that anybody that can write a PHP script on my machine
> >can read the auth script and read the passwords that would be contained
> >within -- those to my MySQL server.

> All you can do really is store the passwords themselves in an include
> file that you put in the most secure place possible, preferably not in
> webspace. But I imagine you have this covered.

Yeah, but this is really security through obscurity, not something I'm
keen on ;)

> > Is there any way I can have a script that is not readable by a user,
> >while still allowing that user to execute it?  Maybe through using a
> >wrapper of some sort?  I do not have UFS2 so I cannot use ACLs.
> >

> Not that I know of, but have you considered compiling apache with
> suexec? Assuming your other users have seperate logins, this might work.
> You can have apache execute scripts as the appropriate user, not www.
> That way, a 700 permission should prevent other users from reading your
> scripts.

I read some stuff about this.  I got the impression it required using
PHP as a CGI, instead of mod_php.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  The
overhead of using PHP as CGI is a little too high because the server is
already pretty stretched...

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | url:www.lewiz.org |-