Quoting "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Feb 10, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Kenneth Culver wrote:

Quoting "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Feb 10, 2004, at 5:25 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

Marc Wiz wrote:
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:53:38PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:
OK. The price difference for AMD vs. Intel is pretty significant, but be aware that you'll also pay a significant premium for dual-proc hardware versus single-proc machines: compare an AMD 2400MP versus the 2400XP price, or the 2.4GHz Xeon P4 vs. a Northwood P4, and then factor in the additional costs for a MP-capable motherboard.
Try about $159 for a dual processor motherboard from Tyan.
I just bought a S2466 for about that much brand new.

You can get a decent single-proc AMD motherboard for about $55 (Shuttle AK39N w/ VIA KT400 + VT8235, onboard LAN and audio), which is one third the cost of your dual-proc MB, although obviously one can spend more on either type.

Just a note: If you want ECC with an AMD Athlon (not AMD64), you need to buy a dual board anyway, since I don't know of anyone who makes a board with a chipset that supports ECC that isn't a dual.

Unless you buy one of the single processor athlon 64/opteron boards and get an
opteron/athlon 64 fx chip.

Which is why I said "(not AMD64)"

yeah, I saw that right after I responded :-P

Ken