On Feb 10, 2004, at 11:39 PM, Michael Shafae wrote:

Hi,

I have an intel motherboard, s845wd1, with an onboard Promise Fastrak ATA RAID. Its running 4.8p10 on two mirrored Seagate 80 GB disks. It lost the mirror reporting this:
ad6: hard error reading fsbn 140018943 of 0-127 (ad6 bn 140018943; cn 138907 tn
10 sn 57) trying PIO mode
ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
ad6: hard error reading fsbn 140019007 of 0-127 (ad6 bn 140019007; cn 138907 tn
11 sn 58) status=59 error=00
ar0: WARNING - mirror lost

<snip>

If I understand this correctly, ar0 is now basically ad4. ad4 was the one that had the read error so ad6 couldn't be rebuilt. ad6 had a similar error and that's why the mirror was lost.

I would like to rebuild the mirror, but I don't see how I can do this without re-installing the entire system. Has anyone had any similar experience or some insight on how I can get out of this bind?

I don't use the atacontrol RAID stuff but I think your problem is that your disk has failed and you need a new disk. Get a new disk and see if you can rebuild it.

Chad