On Wednesday 11 February 2004 05:40 pm, Michael Dunham wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 05:02 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 February 2004 04:08 pm, Michael Dunham wrote:
> > > OleVo wrote:
> > >
> > > Subject: kdelibs3 configure script reports LibXext error
> > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > I'm trying to install the KDE3 which came with freeBSD 4.9 from
> > > ports. Unfortunately the installation fails while installing the
> > > kdelibs3 with the following error:

> > Actually, the damaged foot looks to be self-inflicted. His port
> > list includes XFree86-libraries and libXext. Since kdelibs couldn't
> > detect libXext, he probably installed libXext last. Before he tries
> > anything else, he needs to delete the port libXext and reinstall
> > XFree86-libraries. He may still have the same problem but I never
> > had any problem updating kdelibs from 3.1.4 to 3.2.0 on
> > FreeBSD-4.9-stable.
> >
> > Kent
>
> It could be, I know there are several conflicts in the 3.2 upgrade
> that are related to moving applications among ports and libraries.
> Because of that the order of the upgrade is important and I also
> found because I initially did things out of order, I had to do some
> some fresh installs to get things back to ground zero.  At one point,
> while trying to run down the dependencies, I ended up with two
> versions of KDEBase installed.  That was messy.

Probably not duplicatable but that is when we invoke Murphy :). The date
problem on kdevelop was the most obscure problem I have seen. It took 3
people working early in the morning to develop a pattern that jumped
out to one of them.

> There are several related threads on the ports mailing list and here
> on the questions list because of the changes that have been made.
> People haven't put all the issues together yet, so we are just poking
> around in the dark to some degree.  Hopefully, someone is watching
> who understands the interaction and can update the related ports in a
> more cohesive way.
>
> So, on we go...

I am telling people I know to delete kdebase, kdenetwork, and kdepim
before they start updating from 3.1.4 to 3.2. The only problem I have
right now on 4-stable is producing a package of kdegraphics. Since I
have to build it on everything, I haven't installed 3.2 on anything
with less cpu than an AMD-1600+ XP.

The spinlock problem is something else. I don't think it has settled
down yet. Using libmap.conf works but people say it is a kludge. I want
a clean system but doing a portupgrade -ufa on 5-current and a 1600+XP
will take day(s).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart