You are right - only COPTFLAGS used when you compiling the kernel.
BUT YOU should note that when you compile the kernel you don't compile only it !
You also compile many modules . You have problem namely with module.
So

COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops

has affect only on kernel. But

CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops

will be used for compiling your modules. In other words kernel will be optimized
with -O2 , but modules will be optimized with -O3.
Actually you don't have problem with compiling your KERNEL. You have problem
with compiling some modules.
My solution actually - compiling with option -O2 such modules that cannot be compiled
with -O3  .
All other modules I has compiled with -O3.

Didier WIROTH wrote:

Hi, thanks for answering
I'm using this in make.conf
COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops
CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops

Thx for answering.

But... hmm..., I'm not using -O3 for the kernel, or at least I thought I
wasn't!?

When using COPTFLAGS in make.conf, isn't CFLAGS ignored when building the
kernel?
I build the kernel with:
make -j2 buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

Does it mean that COPTFLAGS & CFLAGS are actually merged?!
This:
COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops
CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops

Results in this: gcc -O2 -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops

thx

This is because using -O3 adds the option -finline-functions. You should only use -O when compiling the kernel and that's all that is actually supported.

--roop