On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:12:53 -0500
Dragoncrest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       For the past couple of days I've had someone on our lan port
>       scanning my
> box.  Not sure what's up with that, but I'm curious if there's a way
> to log what IP address this is coming from.  I don't have IPFW enabled
> yet as I haven't had the time to configure it at this point as it's
> currently behind the company firewall on our T3.  Is there a way to
> log where it's coming from?  Or is that already being logged
> somewhere?

man tcpdump

ports/net/ethereal

netcat? (ports/net/nc). If connections are to a specific port and
protocol are tcp you can set up nc to listen for connections on this
port. Once a connection is established you might get some info, e.g. see
what requests are made. A while ago I started getting an absurd number
of requests (+30k in an afternoon on my standalone home computer), using
netcat I found out that it was requests from kazaa clients... (and no, I
don't run kazaa but I'm on dhcp so I obviously got a "bad" ip).