Jez Hancock wrote:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:57:31PM +0100, gaf wrote:

Jez Hancock wrote:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:26:24PM +0100, gaf wrote:

Today I tried to install a new browser and I got the information that my filesystem is full. When I tried to start KDE I got the message that /tmp is full. I would really apprecite some help. What to do?? Can I give you some other info and if so what and how???

Yes please - paste the output from df and mount.

df -h gave:
Filesystem size used avail capacity mounted on
/dev/ad1s1a 3,9G 3,8G -234,3M 106% /
devfs 1,0K 1,0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/ad1s1d 37G 22M 34G 0% /home

It might be best if you reinstalled the OS from scratch and ensure you assign the disk space more practically. Presently you have a massive proportion of your disk space assigned to /home and only a small proportion assigned to / - you can get away with a /home partition of only 1Gb, but a tiny / partition will make using the OS difficult.

A more suitable fs layout might be:

Filesystem  Size        Mounted on
/dev/ad1s1a     500MB   /
/dev/ad1s1e     500MB   /tmp
/dev/ad1s1f     10-20GB /usr

with the remaining space going to /var and /home.

You don't have to create separate partitions for each mount point, but
it speeds things up a little and saves disk space being filled up and
causing a denial of service...

Better bet if you don't feel confident with partitioning might be to let
the installer choose the partition sizes for you initially - select 'a' in the
fdisk screen (iirc) and the installer automatically selects the partition sizes
it thinks are best given the size of the hdd.

At the end of the day the best way to learn is to install, reinstall,
reinstall and reinstall again :P

As always read, reread, etc the handbook section on partitioning:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html

Good luck!

Thank you for answering. Id hoped not to reinstall but..... Partitioning is no problem, Ive installed all versions from 4.8 to5.2 on my old computer just for training and trying.
Thanks again
gaf