On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:04:53 +0100
gaf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have read the handbook but have been following (Itīs easier to have a
> book in front of you when installing).  The Complete FreeBSD  4th
> edition when installing, where Greg Lehey recommends the partitioning
> that I have running right now so.....

HE DOES NOT.

 >/                     4G
 >swap          800M
 >/home           35G

NOP. No way.

What he says and you forgot to do is something about sym-linking /tmp to
/var/tmp, if memory serves. If you want to extent this to have symlinks like this:
/tmp --> /home/tmp
/usr --> /home/usr
/var --> /home/var
you can. But there is no reason to do so.
In fact the default setup is just the other way:
/home --> /usr/home
Please refer to hier(7) to see layout of FreeBSD.

Grog's book was for a few years the only one available and it's my personal
favorite. Nevertheless the FreeBSD handbook is the official reference.

> as a newbie how should I know which one is the most accurate?  Now I
> know you ll say the handbook, so from now on I will follow the handbook.

Read Grog's book, it makes a few times every cent you have spent on it.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user