On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 04:06:56PM -0600, Darryl Hoar wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am running 5.1-release.
> I have installed rsync from ports, and want to use it to archive.
> I want to add an entry to cron so it runs nightly.  I didn't quite
> understand the man page when it came to arguments to the
> command you are running.
>
> ie
> 0 0 1 * * *  /usr/local/bin/rsync -av /working/ /backup/working
>
> I also want the output of the rsync command to go to a named file.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> -Darryl

Without consideration to the syntax of rsync, a line much like the one
you have should work.  For example:

0 1 * * *  /usr/local/bin/rsync -av /dir /backup/dir 2>&1 /root/rsync.log

This should run the specified command at 1AM every day of every week.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49