Do you need to be using 5.1?  It's an outdated "early adopters'"
release, after all...

Edward Carmody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Trying to build a new kernel, having some
> issues...

And you didn't show the kernel configuration.

> First, I tried to follow the FreeBSD Handbook,
> Section 9.3, Procedure 1. Building a Kernel the
> ``Traditional'' Way; experienced the following
> issue: =================================
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] conf]# pwd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf

Surely you mean "cd" rather than "pwd".
Next time, please use cut-and-paste to show *exactly* what happened
(script(1) can help if necessary).

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] conf]# config OBERON
> config: OBERON:226: devices with zero units are
> not likely to be correct [EMAIL PROTECTED] conf]#

<snip>

> I man config, and see that "The line numbers
> reported in error messages are usually off by
> one."  I did not experience this with a previous
> mistake, but here are the lines around line 226:
> =================================
> device          isa
> device          eisa
> device          pci
> device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6
> drq 2
> device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
> device          fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

That's definitely not right on 5.1.
Where did you get it from?  It looks more like a config from 4.x.

> =================================
>
> Again, I don't see what's wrong.
>

> So, I tried Procedure 2. Building a Kernel the
> ``New'' Way: ================================= #
> cd /usr/src # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL #

I'll assume that '#' wasn't in the middle of the line...

>         The Regents of the University of
> California. All rights reserved. FreeBSD
> 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun  5 02:55:42 GMT 2003

Definitely not a new kernel.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] sys]# pwd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] sys]# ls GENERIC OBERON  boot
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] sys]#

What you put here obviously isn't exactly what you typed originally,
so I'm quite hesitant to draw any conclusions from it...

Good luck.
--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
                resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/