Hello,
No intention of spamming the list with my inquiry but my previous
messages may have been formatted using HTML and therefore ignored or
unreadable.

I was attempting to upgrade from 4.8 to 4.9 and the program stopped
during the makeinstall phase with the following error messages:

==>gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
Making R
expr: not found
***Error code 127
Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
***Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font
***Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff
***Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
***Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src/gnu
***Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src
***Error code 1

The last two lines were repeated three times.  I now have a partially
installed system.  Using Microsoft Outlook for e-mail at the time.

This is only my third attempt (two failures) at upgrading so any direct
help or troubleshooting advice to resolve these errors would be
appreciated .

Again, I apologize if you've received this note more than once.

Thanks,
Bob Perry