At 01:25 PM 2/17/2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:

Kinda obvious, but is inetd(8) running at all?

# ps -ax | fgrep inetd 20482 ?? Is 0:00.01 inetd start

If it is running, did you restart it after editing the configuration file?

yes

To make inetd(8) start automatically on reboots add this to /etc/rc.conf:

inetd_enable="YES"

# cat /etc/rc.conf | fgrep inetd inetd_enable="YES"

You might want to tweak inetd's runtime flags something like the following:

inetd_flags="-wWl -R 1024 -c 128"

pretty generous for my little office, did it

In order to make inetd(8) reread it's config file:

# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

ok

You should now see something listening on port 21

No. But I do see this on /var/log/messages

inetd[20482]: start: No such file or directory

I assumed it was running because it showed up in top and ps -ax, but I guess it really didn't because of this failure on attempting to start?

Yet I can ssh into the box, and sftp in too. None of which shows on the /var/log/messages -- I guess because inetd isn't running; now I can see sshd and sftp-server running on `top`.

if you still can't connect by FTP, double check your firewall rules (remember that FTP uses both ports 20 and 21) and /etc/hosts.allow.

# cat /etc/rc.conf|fgrep secure kern_securelevel_enable="NO" # cat /etc/rc.conf | fgrep firewall firewall_enable="no"

# cat /etc/hosts.allow | fgrep ftp
# Provide a small amount of protection for ftpd
ftpd : localhost : allow
ftpd : .nice.guy.example.com : allow
ftpd : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny
ftpd : ALL : allow

So does the problem appear to be that inetd isn't able to start? Why is it that I get so totally lost before finding out where I'm going? :)

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners