Martin Hudec (www.webcom.sk) wrote:

Did you try to burn it using slower speed? This is maybe a long shot..

Cheers,
Martin

Martin actually has a point. I have had problems with the FreeBSD 5.1.2 ISO's - which made me think that for some reason the ISO's I was downloading were corrupted (every time I tried to install it on *one* of my machines, it crapped out with an error when installing the base system). I checked the MD5 checksums and found out they were the same. Two things that solved this: burning at a lower speed and in one case, and downloading the ISO again in another case. Another oddity I learned about in a situation some months ago: I work a lot on OS X/Macs. I downloaded one of the ISO's over night, copied it the next morning to a FAT formatted firewire HD, brought it to work and burned it on another OS X machine after copying it over from the firewire HD. The install process using *that* CD always errored out (I tried burning it 3 times). I went back to the original OS X computer and burned a copy from the ISO I had originally downloaded and voila - no problems. I found that copying from one FS to another can also sometimes corrupt ISO's. I don't understand why, but this is not the first time this has happened - and it is not only with FreeBSD ISO's. I learned to always double check the MD5's after that and be careful of crossing FS's multiple times.

Steve Fettig