ian j hart wrote:

On Monday 16 February 2004 3:16 am, Kent Stewart wrote:

On Sunday 15 February 2004 07:04 pm, Chris wrote:

On Sunday 15 February 2004 09:00 pm, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

Chris wrote:

Is is me? Or has something changed in 5.2 that tends to make
systems freeze up during portupgrade? Mainly - KDE-3.2.0

That being said, I seem to be seeing this more often on other
upgrades. Strange thing is, I considered it to be my PC however,
I never seem to run into the total freeze when doing a
buildworld.

No trouble here upgrading 5.2 to current on my desktop and no
trouble upgrading my 5.2p1 to 5.2RC2 on my server.  I suspect your
problem is hardware or driver related.

Tom Veldhouse

Tom,

        My upgrades (5.2.1 -> 5.2.1-RC1 -> 5.2.1-RC2) went flawless. The
issues I'm having is during portupgrade.

Kent,
Interesting - I did as you advised. I am typically running between
113 and 125 degrees (F) My AMD did come with a fan. Perchance I ought
to look into alternative cooling?

Mine ran like that for 53 weeks. The warranty was for 52. When it died,
it litterally blew one of the voltage regulator ICs on the motherboard.
All I saw was a flash of light at the same time as a loud bang and the
top right corner of the IC disappeared. Out was towards me but I didn't
feel it hit nor could I find it.

Much as I love AMD, I would have to agree about the fans. I bought boxed CPUs with fans as I expected that this would provide the right level of cooling (and reliability). IIRC the warranty was 2 years. When the first one went "wobbly" I replaced the lot. It's just not worth taking the chance.

To the OP, re temperatures. I wouldn't rely too much on what other peoples systems report.

The actual temperature of the CPU is going to depend on the speed and CPU core architecture (and maybe the BIOS) vs the ambient temp/cooling.

This is as opposed to the temperature reported. The accuracy is going vary with method (chip) which means, which M/B. I somehow doubt the sensors are individually calibrated against a lab standard.

If you can find somone with the same CPU/Motherboard, those numbers would be slightly more useful.

As a counter example my 2100+/Gigabyte GA-VTXE+ (BIOS F6a) sits at 54C idle and around 60C when busy. It's perfectly stable (on stable, not current).
[With fvcool idle temp = 30C]

If I forget to clean the filters, the temperature will rise, and the system becomes increasingly unstable. A few degrees increase is enough.

My advice is to clean any filters, fans and heatsinks and check the fans spin correctly. If the box runs cooler, note the temperature for future reference.

The current fans look like the Antec fans you can see in a Circuit City
or Best Buy. You can mail order them but I think I would buy one sooner
than that :). You have been having problems for quite a while now and
that may be what is going on.

Kent

Just another 'me too' on the lousy ^$#(# AMD supplied Athlon fans. Had a dual AMD 1800+ setup with OE/Retail AMD fans, system less than a year old, actually purchased from a company that went under, so the system sat idle for a good part of that year. Ran it for about a month, CPU fan failure, one _very_ cooked Athlon MP 1800+ CPU later...was cheaper to buy a pair of MP 2000+ off eBay than a new (or used) 1800+ CPU, but went ahead and spent the $ on ThermalTake Silent Boost fans- I don't overclock server systems, but they _are_ quiet by comparison, and are basically 80mm case fans with copper heat sink. Both (replacement) CPUs I think I paid $140 for, and ~$50 for the fans, so it's a fair amount of $ by comparison, but have used TT fans in the past and haven't had one die on me yet. Probably overkill, but lose a few CPUs (PIII CPUs seem to be able to survive a CPU fan failure, P4 and Xeons generally survive, but AMD chips will cook themselves in a heartbeat!) and it'll seem worth the few extra $$..

Scott