On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 06:01:28PM +0000, Graeme Smith wrote:
> I wonder if anybody has had this problem or can tell me what to try   
> next.
> I installed a Geforce 2 400 MX into my machine yesterday and actually 
> succeeded in getting it to work with X after 12 hours.  All apart 
> from from one annoying detail anyway.  When I leave X, either by 
> ctrl+alt+bs or ctrl+alt+f[1-8] or rebooting etc. the machine becomes 
> totally non responsive as soon as it tries to go into console.  I 
> have to switch off and switch on (no reset button) to get it back to 
> life.  I think my hard drives are going to start a petition soon to 
> make me stop.
I had a similar problem with an nvidia GeForce4 (Ti4200). Switching
to console would make it hang while the letters on the console appeared
very faint. Searching on the linux forum of the nvidia site I found 
people having the same problem as well as a workaround: put
'Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"' in the 'Screen' section of 
XF86Config, disabling the TV-out. Also, this problem seems to be
present only if a cable is connected to TV-out. (Yes I have a cable
there but almost never use it - a working console is much more important
for me.)
> I've tried the VESA, nv and nvidia drivers for X and all seem to 
> exhibit this in one form or another.  I've tried loading with and 
> without the VESA driver at boot with no apparent difference. At the 
> moment I'm using the nvidia drivers. 
That's different from what I observed: my problem would occur *only*
with the nvidia driver, not with nv. Not sure about VESA but I don't
recommend that driver anyway. Also, only if a cable is attached to TV-out.
I don't have the link anymore but it shouldn't be too difficult to
find it again on the nvidia site. Might be useful as I don't remember
for what models of nvidia cards this was/is a problem.
> If I had to put money on what I think is happening I would say the 
> card tells the monitor "go into x by y mode at z refresh" but the 
> monitor can't handle that mode.  However it doesn't tell the card it 
> can't deal with it, but the card is waiting for the OK from the 
> monitor before it tells the machine to carry on.  That's what it 
> looks like from where I'm sitting anyway.
Hmm, if you have another machine and a network you could try to do
a remote login and see if that works. If you succeed to login (ie.
the machine is still alive but displays nothing on the screen), you
might be able to bring it back killing X.
> The machine is a Compaq Proliant 800 (with embedded video which I've 
> turned off on motherboard)
> The card is a Elsa Gladiac 511 PCI (with twin output + TV, I'm only 
> interested in getting it to work with one output)
> FreeBSD is 5.2 and all ports are up to date as of this morning.
> Any pointers or suggestions welcomed.
Not sure if this helps but I wish you good luck.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to