Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:02:32PM -0800, Matthew, Kristina and Ethan wrote:

i have a mac osx machine and a freebsd 4.4 machine
connected via a crossover cable for a small network. i have been able to figure out NFS, Apache, FTP etc. and so far it's really fun. what i'd like to be able
to do is as follows:

i have a modem on my bsd box and it connects via ppp
to a dial-up isp. i would like to configure such that
when i request an internet site from my mac, the bsd
box dials up the isp and acts as a gateway until i'm
done online, then disconnects...

is this possible, is it really complicated?

It's certainly possible, and it's not too difficult. Start by setting up PPP on the FreeBSD box -- there's plenty of examples and howtos around to help you do that, particularly:

ppp(8)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html

/usr/share/examples/ppp

I recommend you use the user-mode PPP if you're just using a standard
POTS dialup. You will want to use the ppp -nat command line option.

She probably also wants "-auto" if she wants the FBSD box to dial on request, etc. <I don't do it that way, though.>

IIRC, when I tried, the clients timed out before the ISP
link came up on the FBSD box, so she may need to adjust
settings on the Mac to allow for longer timeouts.

I did find the handbook's PPP section quite helpful, though.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.