Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 04:05:54PM -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I have a wireless home network with an 802.11B router which assigns
> IPs via DHCP.
>
> what method is appropriate to access one fbsd box from another when
> I don't actually know the IP which has been assigned to any given
> box.
>
> May sound rookie, but presently I go to each box and determine it's
> IP directly and then I "know" the IP (at least for this session).
>
> There has gotta be a better way.
>
> suggestions please.

Does you router/dhcp support static assignment?
Basically you program fbsd 1 MAC address to always be assigned IP 1
and so forth.

Otherwise you might consider using static address on your fbsd system?
Ie if router is doing dhcp from 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.150 you should
be able to static configure fbsd 1 as 192.168.0.1 for example.
Just dont use the address of the router/gateway.

Another option is dynamic dns updates - if your router/dhcp also
provides dns you can either configure dhcp server or client to update
dns with new address.

Finally another idea is to use something like dyndns.org with each
fbsd box.  ddclient from ports will hook into DHCP and submit
whatever address you get to dyndns.org.
Works great for the public address, not sure if it will do private
addresses but worth a shot.

Then you'd give each box a name and register it on dyndns (or one
of the many other equivalent sites)
To talk to the other box you then just need to use the name which
is updated.

Hope there's something there for you,

Tony