ouyang kai wrote:
> Uwe wrote:
>
>>Is the P4-1.6G machine a multi-processor system, that is, was the kernel
>>compiled with the SMP option?  If so, there is currently no TSC support
>>on multi-processor systems, for technical reasons I understand.  So in
>>this case 'machdep.tsc.freq' is omitted from the kernel and therefore
>>cannot be queried.
>
> No, there are all UP system.
> [...]

Okay, then there are apparently more reasons for its ommission than just
SMP.  After all, 'machdep' means "machine dependent". ;-)

> I think the difference is the P4-1.6G machine enable APM-BIOS, if so, how can I get
> the CPU speed?
> Because the CPU speed info in the 'kern.msgbuf' will be rushed after the machine run
> a long time and a lot of kernel msg.

Did you consider parsing '/var/run/dmesg.boot'?  That one won't change
over time.

   Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.escapebox.net