On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:19:05 -0500
Marty Landman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My issue is one of UI, especially for "top". It would be nicer imo if
> those 1/2 doz getty processes were to display on one line somehow...
> maybe indicating the number running and a way for me to expand them if
> needed [which is essentially never which is my point]. So something
> like getty, necessary and there for the appropriate reason, i.e. it
> displays on "top" because it should, nonetheless is a light weight, in
> my case rarely used process that ends up consuming 1/3 or so of the
> screen real estate.

It shouldn't be too hard to modify top to collapse processes with the
same name into a single line.  Possibly more effort than it's worth for
what you want, though.  Have you tried pressing the 'i' key when top is
running?  It toggles the display of idle processes.  (getty is generally
idle.)  This can save a lot of screen real estate.

-Chris