Stephen Liu wrote:

**

Hi all folks,

Version 5.2
new installation

On rebooting it hangs on
syncing disks, buffers remaining ... 5 5

done
Uptime: 45m45s
Shutting down ACPI
Rebooting...
Keyboard reset did not work, attempting CPU shutdown.

It hanged here and I have to make a 'hard reboot' by pressing 'reset' key

Kindly advise is it the size of SWAP insufficient? If 'YES', kindly advise how to check it and increase its size.

TIA

B.R.
Stephen Liu

I had this problem some time back with 5.0 on an older system of mine. I was never able to resolve the problem, as it seemed to be a EIDE controller related problem. I downgraded (to then) 4.7 and never had any problems after that. Just today, however, as I was working on upgrading to 5.2 on the same system, the hard drive and the controller that had been problematic back then, failed. I just put in a new hard drive and the system works fine (with a new install), so I am assuming it may have been an issue with both controller and disk. I remember at the time there was information on the mailing list about their being problems with the EIDE controller I was using. You might want to start by making sure that your controller hasn't caused anyone else problems (via checking the mailing list archives). It might also be that your hard drive is slowly failing. If it is a newer drive, I would imagine that less likely, though. Someone else, here may have better advice, however, as I don't know too much about the drivers built in to the kernel for controllers. As I said, my short-term solution was going back to a more stable version of FreeBSD...

Steve Fettig