On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:20:56 +0530
"somatic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> granted us these pearls of wisdom:

> Hi,
> I was wondering if there was a web based system to check mail on a freebsd
> system.I wanted to setup a mail system for all users on the intranet.I have
> successfully installed sendmail and can send and receive mail on the
> system.(using pine).But how do i go about setting up a system for external
> lan users without them telnetting into the system?.Would i need a pop3
> server?
>
> Thanks,
> akshay.
Hi,
you have a number of options open to you, you can try a POP3
installation, you could get adventurous and go for IMAP. A Webmail setup
is also one way to deal with your situation. You could even get really
carried away and install all of the above.  A quick check in the ports
dir and qpopper is available as is solidpop3d and a number of others. I
guess the trick is for you to work out which one suits your situation
best.  FWIW webmail can be a bit cumbersome at times your users might
prefer POP3 or IMAP.

Good Luck

LK