Mathias Haas wrote:
Julien Gabel wrote:

Hello guys! I have two questions about shellscripts:
2) The same backup job - is written as a bash script, and it works
perfectly when run by hand, but it won't run as a cron job.

Are you using a full path in the shebang at the top of the script? Such as:

#!/bin/sh
or
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

And more generally, is the ${PATH} variable set correctly according
to all the tools/utility used along your script?

As a reply to both answers, here's a script that wont' run:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
echo start > test.txt

...and here is bash:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/local/etc]>> whereis bash
bash: /usr/local/bin/bash

this is /var/log/cron
Feb 24 19:20:00 p3-550 /usr/sbin/cron[27988]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/etc/test.sh)

This is the crontab entry:
* * * * * /usr/local/etc/test.sh
(At the moment, I have no shell parameters or other parameters in crontab, another crontab-job runs fine, but that's an executable file.)

/mathias

Have you checked write permissions on whatever directory test.txt is trying to be created in?