- snip -

/usr/local/etc/rc.d is a directory. Whether you recommend to create a file with only a single line :- 'Kdm &' (without quote) on it and save it to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

Shall I 'chmod 775' the file created? Files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ directory have an extension '.h'. Shall I name the file as xxx.h?

The "&" makes it run the command as a background job, so that the
prompt re-appears immedidately, and you can go on working in that
shell.  In this case, it just means that if you go back to
that virtual terminal (with CTRL-Alt-F1 or whatever) you can run
more commands outside KDE.

I think the rule for scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d is that they
will all be run on startup, provided they are executable. The
convention is to name them "xxx.sh", but I don't know if that is
actually required. So a chmod 500 should be the minimum required
permissions (-r-x------), and 755 will work OK.

Hi Mike,

Tks for your advice.

Have tried following version without success

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/kguilogin.sh
#! /bin/sh
1) kdm &
2) exec "kdm &"