Tonight I was reading a webpage, I found the whole X window suddenly doesn't acceput keyboard input any more (mouse works). So I use mouse rebooted the computer. That is a Thinkpad T40 running FreeBSD 5.2

After reboot the whole system hangs up at "Login name" prompt (even in "verbose mode"). Ping this box from other computer gets timeouts. I boot into single user mode, disabled gdm in single user mode but next boot I still hang at "Login name"

I also tried to disable all getty but the box hangs right before "Login name" prompt. I (in single user mode) turned off every service in rc.conf, renamed /usr/local/rc.d but nothing changed.

Now I'm backing up all my 40GB data in single user mode through 10MB LAN, it is midnight I hope next morning everything are backed up and I can reinstall FreeBSD and get a working system. But what part do you think in my box made it hangs?