Peter Risdon wrote:

Martin McCormick wrote:

I am trying to modify the execution path on a FreeBSD system
for all the bash2 users on that system. The man page says that

default path is system-dependent, and is set by the
administrator who installs bash. A common value is
``/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:.''.

How do I set, or in this case, reset it?

The man page also says:

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-inter-
active shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes com-
mands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading
that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile,
in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that
exists and is readable. The --noprofile option may be used when the
shell is started to inhibit this behavior.

But so far as I have seen, at least on FreeBSD, /etc/profile does not generally contain path info. This is normally set in ~/.profile and the default contains something like this:

# remove /usr/games and /usr/X11R6/bin if you want
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/

bin:$HOME/bin; export PATH

So my guess is that to conform closely to this way of doing things, add the path to each user's ~/.profile and also to /usr/share/skel/dot.profile so it is there immediately for new users.

Alternatively, unless someone contradicts this, the man page seems to suggest you could add a path to /etc/profile and it would then be system-wide. I have never done this myself, though, so can't vouch for it whereas I have edited ~/.profile frequently.

HTH.

PWR.

You can add any environment vars you'd like to /etc/profile- this is still the preferred method for some cases...for example, if you're the sysadmin for a project group that all needs additional software that may have been installed in the /usr/local/<somewhere>/bin tree, instead of binaries in /usr/local/bin. So if it's assumed that all users will need a given PATH, add it to /etc/profile. If it's a per user addition, add it in ~/.bash_profile..

There are a mixture of other ways to do this, with the 'new thing' being application dependent env vars (LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH, etc)- in Linux, this is generally done via /etc/profile.d/<appname>.sh, but is not generally used for correcting user-owned variables. So in other words, /etc/profile is fine ;-)

Scott