fbsd_user wrote:

Need to set the initial value for an counter and save it, then bump the saved value by one every time the php script is executed. This must be a very basic function, but not being an php script coder my self this is all new to my.

Can anyone provide sample code I can use to do this?

From a user contribution to the php manual at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php

- edit to suit and use at your own risk.

PWR.

|$counter_file = '/tmp/counter.txt';
clearstatcache();
ignore_user_abort(true); ## prevent refresh from aborting file operations and hosing file
if (file_exists($counter_file)) {
$fh = fopen($counter_file, 'r+');
while(1) {
if (flock($fh, LOCK_EX)) {
#$buffer = chop(fgets($fh, 2));
$buffer = chop(fread($fh, filesize($counter_file)));
$buffer++;
rewind($fh);
fwrite($fh, $buffer);
fflush($fh);
ftruncate($fh, ftell($fh)); flock($fh, LOCK_UN);
break;
}
}
}