fbsd_user wrote:

Thanks, a really great reply.
Have some questions about the fine details.

I haven't used this script, just happened to notice it the other day while looking something up, but ...

The counter file is an single line with any size numeric
field starting in position 1?
Like this, right?
2004000000

Looks like it. If the file isn't there already, the script creates it.

Does the file have to be an .txt file?

It can have any name you like, if that's what you mean. The contents are always going to be the same.

What happens if the counter file is in use and locked?
Does the second request pause until file is free?

File locking is OS dependent. More particularly, php file locking works fine with other attempts to access the file from thingies that are also using the same type of file locking as php. So, I believe the conservative answer here is: yes, on FreeBSD, at least so far as other attempts from php scripts to access the file are concerned.

If the counter file has no path prefix, then it's looked for
in the same location as the script, right?
$counter_file = 'counter.php'

Yes, though personally I prefer to be anal and state the full path. If you might use the file in a number of locations in an expanded script and need to refer to this path more than once, set it once as:

$filepath = '/usr/home/someuser/counters/';

and edit just that line when you need to, then use:

$counter_file = $filepath."counter.php";

or similar throughout the script. Bear in mind that the file will be written as the default apache user, probably www, so the directory needs appropriate permissions.

PWR.