On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 01:52:37AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi all folks,
>
> FreeBSD 5.2
> ===========
>
> I can as 'root'
>
> # ssh -X [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> tunneling to 'user' but it does not work as 'user'
>
> $ ssh -X [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Password: <root psword>
> Password: <root psword>
> Password: <root psword>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password: <root psword>
> Permission denied, please try again.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password: <root psword>
> Permission denied, please try again.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password: <root psword>
> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
>
> Kindly advise how to fix this problem
>
> TIA
>
> B.R.
> Stephen Liu

You say that this works as root, but your example seems to indicate
otherwise.  By default, root logins via ssh is disabled in the sshd
config file, usually at /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  If for some reason you
want to allow root logins via ssh then uncomment the following line and
change "no" to "yes" - then restart sshd:

PermitRootLogin yes

However, I think this would generally be frowned upon from a security
standpoint.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49