Not trying to start a holy war - just looking into hard facts to support some systems I'm designing. FFS will either work, or it won't. Black or white.

The type of I/O I'm talking about will be in the 100's of thousands of email messages (probably more) per day... obviously the underlying OS, filesystem tuning, hardware are also an issue. I'm simply trying to gain some insight into other's experience with FFS, etc.

Thanks.

Derrick Ryalls wrote:

Curious how FreeBSD ffs performs in Enterprise-level environments (ie: email stores that send 100's of thousands of messages per day) versus other filesystems like XFS (I heard thre's a port going on for FreeBSD..?), ReiserFS, et al. Is there a FAQ that covers some of this and the various tuning issues one might consider (filesystem and kernel). This applies either disk-alone or across a raid array, etc. I'm interested in hearing others experiences (good and bad).

You are almost starting a holy war :)

I believe hotmail used to be hosted on FreeBSD until it was bought out by
MS, that should be a decent volume indicator.

I run a very small email list server and it works fine on a p200.  I did see
a noticable jump in speed when I switched the mail service from sendmail to
qmail, so it is also dependant on what you will run.