Tobias Aigner wrote:

Hi there,

I'm having some troubles getting DRI to work. I'm runnig an
ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Board with NForce2 and a ATI Radeon 8500. First of all
I started using the 5.2.1-RELEASE with following kernel-options:

device agp
device radeondrm

this caused XFree86 (4.3.0 and 4.4.0) to freeze on startx when DRI was
enabled. Then I removed agp and radeondrm from my kernel-config, now
dmesg showed this when startx was launched:

error: [drm:pid580:radeon_cp_init] *ERROR* radeon_cp_init called
without lock held
error: [drm:pid580:radeon_unlock] *ERROR* Process 580
using kernel context 0

but X actually started (glxinfo sayed 'direct rendering: no'). After
some reading I started to put these options in my XF86Config:

Option "ForcePCIMode" "true"
Option "AGPMode" "4"

well, ok now glxinfo reported 'direct rendering: yes' but my performance
with glxgears should be much better:

1167 frames in 5.0 seconds = 233.400 FPS
1403 frames in 5.0 seconds = 280.600 FPS

dmesg showed this:

drm0: <ATI Radeon QL R200 8500 LE> port 0xb000-0xb0ff mem
0xc2000000-0xc200ffff,0xb0000000-0xbfffffff irq 5 at device 0.0 on pci2
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.10.0 20020828 on minor 0 info: [drm]

This problem is obviously caused by my mainboard, because my radeon used
to work with my old Gigabyte VIA mainboard.

So I'm slowly runnig out of ideas what to do.

I have the same problem. I have to use force pci mode or my system or it freezes on startx. It seems to me to be a driver issue. I preload all the agp and video stuff yet there is no driver for the memory controllers.

pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.1 (no driver attached)
pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.2 (no driver attached)
pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.3 (no driver attached)
pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.4 (no driver attached)
pci0: <memory, RAM> at device 0.5 (no driver attached)

The agp chipset driver was ported from linux and unlike most other drivers has mc0, mc1, and a agp bridge device in the driver code. Since these seem unique to the nforce platform that could be why, but having a bridge and memory controller is not and no other drivers have it. So now I am trying to rewrite it. I must say it is a very hard thing for me to do. Its my first attempt at any real programing outside of class. If you check your dmesg you will also see 5 memory controllers, but the only documents I can get from nvidia only show 2 in use. The people at nvidia seem to be of no use, so you might not bother asking but enough people asking might get results. Sorry but if you want 3d today I have to recommend you use nvidia cards on nvidia boards, or any supported card on any other support board(like the via). By the way I think option agpmode 4x is irrelavent with pci mode. Let me know if you got anymore ideas.
Jason