fbsd_user wrote:

From my web page I link to .zip, .tgz, and .exe files and when the
link
is clicked, apache will open window to download the file.

When I link to an .txt file it gets opened and displayed. I want to
have it open for download like the other files.

Is there some config option in httpd.conf that I have missed?

To understand the issue, read the man page for mime.types(5), and look at /usr/local/etc/apache/mime.types

Text files are meant to be displayed like that. Easiest answer is to compress them and offer the compressed version for download.

PWR.