> > # lptcontrol -i -d /dev/lpt0
> > (to set interrupt-driven mode for lpt0)
> >
> > and
> > 3)
> > # lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpt0
> > (to set polled-mode for lptN)
> >

> > Jumped to;
> > # lptest > /dev/lpt0
> > only strange symbols printed and printing continued without stop until I
> > removed the paper tray.  Communication between printer and port seemed
> > working
>
> It could be that your printer does not understand plain ascii text. What is
> the make and model.
>
> The other possibility is that there is something wrong in the
> communications path -- a dud or incorrectly wired cable.

Hi Malcolm,

FreeBSD 5.2
Printer HP Desktop 690c
===================

Thanks for your response.

I missed steps 2) and 3) mentioned above.  I performed further test as
follows;

step-2
# lptcontrol -i -d /dev/lpt0

step-3
# lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpt0

both without printout

rebooted PC because having got printer turned on. The later could not be
detected with 'dmesg'

** how can I detect the printer to avoid 'reboot' ??????

After reboot
# dmesg
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 690C> MLC,PCL,PML
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

# ls -l /dev/lpt0
crw------- 1 root wheel 16, 0 Mar 9 01:17 /dev/lpt0

Repeated step-2 and step-3 above
(also no printout)

# lptest > /dev/lpt0

One line printed on 1st paper as follow;
+,-./0123456789:;<=>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It seemed OK but feed-in paper continued with 'no_paper' light on (I put only
1 paper in the tray)

B.R.
satimis