Robert Golovniov wrote:

Hello,

 I  would  like to create an hourly cron to have the machine bring up
 the dialup connection, check for the new mail (with fetchmail), send
 any  outgoing  messages (with postfix) and then bring the connection
 down.

 To  make  things  more  complicated, I would like to use this dialup
 session  to  automatically  update  my  virus  databases for clamav,
 f-prot, and Panda AV.

 I  think  I  could  figure out how to set each of these processes in
 cron,  but  I am not sure how to tell the script that it should wait
 for  one  process  to  finish before it starts performing the second
 task. What is the best place to look for more information on that?

I'd write a shell script that did everything, then invoke that script with cron.

PWR.