Bart Silverstrim wrote:

On Mar 8, 2004, at 12:15 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

Is there any utility in FreeBSD 4.9 to check for possible updates/bug fixes
via internet?

I *think* have have kind of a handle on this on the server I just installed...

I usually do a cvsup to update the list of the ports tree, then use a procedure I picked out of http://www.freebsddiary.org/portupgrade.php to update applications with portupgrade.

If anyone else has a method other than this, I'd love to know the procedure :-)

This only updates ports. Updating FreeBSD, I don't know of anything other than if you find a security advisory, you have to have the src tree and patch that portion and recompile whatever had the vulnerability, following the advisory instructions. I'm thinking that since most daemons/applications are from ports, keeping your ports tree updated should limit most remote exploits...I would be interested in knowing of a way to check whether the installation of the OS is up to date, though.

Colin Percival has done something kinda new and different (and interesting.....) he calls "FreeBSD Update". I've not tried it, but IIRC the details are at http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.