Richard Uhlman wrote:

Hello,

I am new to using FreeBSD, and I am trying to use a FreeBSD box as a
firewall/router. I am trying to get the router working correctly first.
My issue is that my box will not receive an IP address from Comcast when
the dhclient starts. I commented out all of the firewall commands in my
rc.conf file, but left the ifconfig_ep0="DHCP". The machine is running
2 NIC's and I have verified that the correct one has the cable plugged
into it. I am running release 5.2.1.

No expert answer, just more questions. Maybe they'll help?

What error messages can you find in
/var/log/messages and or /var/log/dmesg.boot?

What else (if anything) is in rc.conf?

Does ep0 show up in dmesg(8)?

What is the output of ifconfig(8)?

Can you assign an address with ifconfig(8)?

Have you tried dhclient(8)?  Maybe with
the -v switch, might give us some meaningful
error messages.

Grasping at straws, HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.