On Mar 8, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Wright, Greg wrote:

Bart, thanks for the reply !!

I had been looking at qmail with clam and spamassassin, but somebody
told me that qmail might not be appropriate as a secure mail gateway.
It was not designed to route mail, but instead to act as just a mail
server for local mailboxes.

I'll take another look at postfix.

Thanks again.

As a side note: I'm not trying to start an MTA war :-)

I've used Qmail a long time ago; it's fast, it's very secure, and I liked it. I chose postfix for this particular case because I wasn't doing anything elaborate with the messages and I wanted something that was as "compatible" as possible...the exact configuration for the system I was setting up I couldn't find any simple HOWTOs for, and there is a lot of material for Sendmail and Postfix floating around out there and if documentation said that a particular program, like Amavis, worked with Sendmail then chances were pretty good that it would work with Postfix too since Postfix was designed to be a drop-in replacement for Sendmail.

Postfix is also pretty simple to set up, in my experiences.

Once I get the server here set up to production level, I'm planning on writing up how I configured it and I'm hoping to get permission to put it in out for people to use as a reference if they have a project like this one to do; I don't know if people would be interested but I know I could have used a guide like this :-)

-Bart