Mark Ovens wrote:
Denis R. wrote:
Hi Mark and list members,

I am experiencing the same problem on my dual PII-450 SP700 Compaq Pro
workstation. After poking around on Google, it is pointing to the FreeBSD
and a i8254 programmable interupt timer. In my case the time is lagging
behind 10 times! What does your:
#time sleep 10
show?

redshift# time sleep 10 0.000u 0.001s 0:10.00 0.0% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w redshift#

The clock maintains the correct time whilst FreeBSD is running, it just suddenly changes, at least somewhere "inside" FreeBSD, during shutdown but doesn't screw the system clock until the next reboot, and even after that it maintains consistent, but incorrect, time; i.e. it doesn't gain or lose at a steady rate.

To follow up:

Based on your comments Denis, I tried the kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254 workround - didn't work. I also spun a UP kernel - that didn't work either. Confirms that it is something specific to my machine (or the Asus A7M266-D m/b and BIOS).

Where does FreeBSD store the corrupted time across reboots though and, more importantly, why?

I don't know where to go from here. I do have an old IDE drive lying around so I guess I could put 4.9 on that and see if the problem exists there as well.

Regards,

Mark

Regards,

Mark

It takes 25 seconds on my SMP workstation to execute a 10 second delay. I
have modified the /etc/sysctl.conf and added:
kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254

ntpd couldn't cope with this problem on my server. I have to run ntpdate
every 10 minutes to set the time to an approximately accepted value :-(.

There used to be a problem on older releases of FreeBSD (4.2 and up)
related to a SMP kernel and clock. Someone posted a hack fix of the:
usr/src/sys/i386/isa/clock.c file. But apparently it has been fixed in
newer releases and does not get mentioned in 5.x.

The most common fix I've heard from people is to recompile the kernel and
exclude the SMP support. But if this is the case, I'd be switching to a
mono CPU support of OpenBSD to run it. One of the reasons I like FreeBSD
is its SMP support.

People, any ideas?

dmesg part:
MPTable: <COMPAQ Workstation >
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
uname -a:
FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Jan 11 04:21:45 GMT 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Thanks and regards!
Denis

I'm completely baffled by this one. When FreeBSD shuts down/reboots it
changes the system clock. It *always* sets the hours to 20 and changes
the minutes and seconds (but I haven't worked out a pattern for that),
but the date stays the same (see /var/log/messages below) although I
once saw it keep the time and date correct, but set the year back *four*
years(!) but that was when the correct time was 22:mm:ss.

.

.