On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:50:01PM +0100, Dominik Epple wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > can anyone please give me some short information (or a pointer to it)
> > about the status of file locking over NFS with FreeBSD clients and
> > different servers (e.g. FreeBSD, OpenBSD, linux).
>
> FreeBSD 5 has working NFS locking (rpc.lockd) support.  Linux is
> broken and will not interoperate with FreeBSD unless you apply the
> patch in PR kern/56461.

rpc.lockd support is not entirely stable; see PR bin/61718.

I am always able to force the described problem to happen between two
5.2.x machines by using the file locking test from the
/usr/ports/mail/procmail installation.  When it asks for additional
locations to test file locking, give it a remote NFS destination and watch
things break.

:Fuzz