Hi Mark!

Gee, who would have thought that it was the keyboard. Thanks for your
ideas. I recompiled the kernel (Compaq SP700 dual PII-450) following the
NOTES guidelines and your email, with these enabled:
# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic                    # I/O APIC

options NO_MIXED_MODE
options BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET
options EISA_SLOTS=12

and in /boot/loader.conf
kern.timecounter.method=1

I still got the broken time (10 second test lasts 22 seconds). The server
also hung upon the 'reboot' command while releasing the CPU1. Since it is
a production server, I switched back to my single CPU kernel.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks,
Denis

I've solved it and I bet you can't guess what it was - it
was the fscking keyboard!!!

After spending the last 8 hours building kernels (about 20) with
unnecessary stuff removed and trying various options documented in
/sys/i386/conf/NOTES I finally nailed it down. What made me wonder was a
kernel option BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET
<skip>