On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:30:35PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hello users,
>
> Perhaps I am just being stupid, doing a lot of things at the same time,
> thus losing it.
> Am I just dreaming by imagining that I can mount an ISO image with write
> access?
>
> I have done
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /dev/vn0c /wananchi/FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /dev/vn0c /freesbie
>
> This mounts the image in read-only mode. However, I would like to modify
> a few files on the image before writing it to a CD.
>
> The man page for mount says that I could use -o -w to achieve a write
> mode. Does this also apply to ISO iamages? I was thinking that once
> mounted, they should behave like regular files, no?
>
> -Wash

I don't have an answer to this, but wanted to chime in because I have
had the same issue in the past.  I had once heard a friend tell me that
he used to create ISO images in this very way in Linux by mounting an
ISO image on a (Linux) loop device and then copy files to the image.  It
seems like it could be a flexible and convenient way to quickly create
an ISO image at random, but I've never been able to get FreeBSD to mount
and ISO image rw using either vnconfig or mdconfig.  Maybe there are
some practical considerations that we are overlooking?

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49